Friday, March 13, 2009

For those about to Rock...

We salute you. Any rocker will know who sang this infamous phrase...for those of you who don't...well, you have some livin' to do.

This is the song that our local butt rock station was playing as I came down the grade to the Wolf Creek Bridge yesterday afternoon. One of my favorite songs and a serendipitous moment for me. You know that feeling that reverberates through your inner being when you finally come home. Almost a tingling rush that is derived from pure bliss. Like the feeling you had when you saw your wife for the first time. Ya, that shit.

I'm back in my soulful home of Craig Montana and I could not be happier. Yes, Florida is nice, but to spend 12 months there would just kill me. I love Montana, and I love the Missouri. It tis a place dear to my heart.

My first full day back at Headhunters and there is a lot happening. New stuff, new computers, new clients, and the same old Craig. Hooray!

I like the smell of Craig, seeing friends that are forever friends, regardless of the small town politics that infect this micro-community...water issues, sewer districts, crazy locals, fly shop battles...the common thread is the trout. And boy do we have trout. It is the glue that binds us, for better or for worse.

The road trip is over and it was non-eventful. Thank the powers that be for that. 2996.7 miles of middle America, I'm sure glad I live here and have chosen to chase trout. It is a good place to be.

In light of the economic horrors that revolve around us, and the dwindling assets, one thing is static. Our love for fishing. You know, the fish do not give a rats ass about global economies! They only care if you can cast. They don't care about your 401K, they are looking forward to the spring Baetis.

I almost got distracted by doom and gloom. Thankfully my Budweiser is nearly gone, and I need to visit Joe's Bar and reverse the trend. Bushly, Devine, Heckert, Capt. Carp, John, and a pile of other folks will brighten my day along with a tumbler full of Crown Royal.

I look forward to seeing the non-local locals back in this not so sleepy town this season and a toast to you my friends...We Salute You!

Boy, it's good to be home. For those about to Rock...We Salute You!

2 comments:

Capt. Scott Yetter said...

I have to tell you....
Just after I fired up the coffe pot and fired up the computer I did a count down on my return to Craig... in 3 months I will be loading stuff in the back of the truck... I am on the front end of my favorite time of the year here in the keys,,,, full on guiding for permit, bones and big tarpon... I love it!

But I can't wait to get back to Craig!
Save some rum for me..

Fly Fish Chick said...

glad you made it home safely! as one of those non-locals who frequent Craig...I can honestly say I am counting down...can't wait to be there