Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Good to be Back!


SOL is back in the neighborhood...the Missouri River & Craig. Boy am I glad to be home. I visited the Yellowstone and Paradise Valley which included a guided trip from Stu Dominick on the Boulder. Wow, what a neat stream. Stu is a consummate professional and I always enjoy fishing with him. Danielle accompanied me on this quick getaway and we enjoyed every aspect of our trip. Generally Capt. Carp and I visit our SW Montana friends, but this year our schedules did not mesh, so having Danielle along was truly nice. She is somewhat new to the fly fishing game and a very quick learner. Females...hmmm...they learn rapidly. New Breed Chicks Rule!!

Now that I am back in Utopia...I cannot wait to throw a fly at our big, and getting bigger, fish. Scumliner and I are fishing this afternoon and hope to get some good video, or at least some laughs.

Vacations are nice. Part of what they achieve is allowing one to realize how special this place is...your home is where you hang your hat...and this is where I hang my hat. I would not rather be anywhere else. There is a lot of world class fishing in the vast expanse of Montana...and I would not take anything away from Montana's other great fisheries...but the bottom line is that the Mo Kicks-Ass.

Capt Carp, The Giant, & "Best Day Ever": Blank @ the Carp Tourney...Hero to Zero...they won it last year...this year, NO.

Strange walk-in Question of the Week: Is 6x to light for a Hopper Rig?

Best Guide Day Ever: Any day you are not rowing the boat!

What not to do at the Boat Ramp: Do not block the ramp, wash your boat, inflate your raft...be courteous, just like you would want others to do.

What not to say at the Boat Ramp: I killed 'em, I'm the best angler of all time, my guide is the greatest...etc, etc...be humble and understand that not everybody crushes them everyday. It's fishing man. We all fish for different reasons...it is not always about the body count. Enjoyment of the day is truly important.

"When we have good luck we come home early, otherwise we stay late and fight it out. How often we are defeated! Everything goes against us and we struggle in vain to conquer adverse conditions, but if we do win out, how pleased we are. We really believe we can fish."
Theodore Gordon

No comments: