Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Squeeky @ 40

Ain't it a bitch...I can't see, I don't listen, I enjoy self deprecating humor...and the negative moniker of still being a fly fishing guide is the least of my worries.

Tomorrow I will be 40 and over the hill. I have realized that Crown Royal, Bombay Sapphire, and Tequila do not agree with me...thankfully I have found the life blood of Vodka. I know some are snickering that a Cape Cod graces my hand most evenings, with the Budweiser in the other. Ahhh...simple pleasures are still available.

I still enjoy roping as many fish as I can force into the net, and getting the net wet drives my passion on a daily basis. Fellowship with folks in the fishing business is the secondary reason I am still hangin' in. How wonderful is that. Fishing and talking about fishing.

Here is a secret to those who feel like age is getting the better of them...find something you love and make it your everyday pursuit. I saw the Doc last summer and he was amazed that my blood pressure was so low...I mentioned to him that I sleep soundly and do not worry about anything...all those emotions that require energy are not necessarily healthy. He agreed wholeheartedly. Keep in mind there are dark sides to this lifestyle and I won't bore you with the lengthy list.

Here is my sappy thank you list for the folks that have helped me to this point in life. I believe in mentorship and encourage all to find as many mentors that you can can in life. My folks are at the top of the list...without parents none of us would succeed. I still thank Chris and Jerry from the Trout Shop, even though they may want to ram a screwdriver into my neck these days...I learned a whole lot about the fishing business from those two. Tom Bramble, Larry Tarmelli, Mike Bushly, my business partner Scumliner, Capt. Scott Yetter, Famous Amos, Fritz, Daly, Budweiser Chucky, Capt. Carp, E. Bitty for his constant encouragement, and all who believed that we could open yet another fly shop in downtown Craig...and I can tell you the list was very, very, short. For all the non-believers who laughed and scoffed at us...do you like apples? Well...how do you like them apples.

I will get back to you after the celebration that will certainly ensue tomorrow. 40 is not bad. 40 is the new 30 right. I hope that one of my Bday gifts is a fake ID that says I'm 28...nice

2 comments:

Capt. Scott Yetter said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
Will be back in the vortex in 2 weeks to buy you a birthday drink!!!

V Squared said...

40 . . . Wow! You're still a puppy in our book! Happy Birthday Mark! Sorry we won't be there to celebrate, but we're home WORKING - getting ready to return to the Big Mo in a week. A bottle of vodka it is!

V & V from Sun Valley